Student Policies/ Code of Conduct
Be on time – Student will not be admitted to class prior to five minutes before class starts. Please do not drop your child off without first checking in with a spark representative. We rent out spaces from other studios and theaters and they will not be responsible for our students.
Be Prepared: Always come prepared with the proper materials for class. Students will rehearse during the week and come ready to work hard.
Be Kind and Respectful to persons: encourage and support your cast mates in word and deed. Fighting, bullying, name calling, intimidation, bigotry of any kind, any form of emotional or physical abuse or unwanted contact directed at one another, directors, staff, or volunteers will not be tolerated.
Respect of Property and Facilities: Students will respect the rental facilities, costumes, props, sets, and all other property including the property of other participants. No running in facilities. No cartwheels or tumbling allowed anywhere except classroom and under teacher supervision.
Cleaning up after oneself is expected.
Lewd or inappropriate language will not be tolerated. We will not tolerate curse words of any kind in the classroom including taking the name of God in vain.
Dangerous Items: No drugs, alcohol, or weapons of any kind are permitted.
- Do not leave during a class, show or rehearsal unless excused by the Director or when the Director dismisses the group.
- Be respectful of Director.
- No disruptive behavior.
Dress appropriately for rehearsal.
- Hair must be pulled back out of the face.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Dance shoes will be worn in the dance room.
- Wear comfortable clothing to dance in.
- No hats or jewelry.
- Dress and grooming standards should be neat and respectful. Hair must be clean, deodorant must be worn, etc. (Students work in close contact)
*Spark has accepted the Tomball ISD Dress Code guidelines including the following:
Students are not to wear:
- Clothing, jewelry, gang related tattoos, mouth grills or trinkets that are noisy and distracting; obscene; para-military (including camouflage); dangerous; occult/gang related; or that advertise sex, drugs, tobacco, or any product related to alcohol, tobacco, drugs or sex. Students may not wear suggestive or inappropriately located decorative patches, insignia, or clothing with improper advertising, pictures, slogans or statements.
- Any body piercing (other than earrings for female students). Earrings/piercings and gauges are not acceptable for male students.
- Clothing that in any way would suggest disrespect for the American flag.
- Trench coats, dusters, or excessively large jackets.
- Clothing that does not adequately cover the body or that has tears or rips higher than mid-thigh:
- Low cut, see-through, spaghetti straps or backless dresses, or other revealing tops. Midriffs are to be covered.
- Sleeveless shirts are not acceptable for male students.
- Baggy pants or pants that hang on the hipbone, frayed pants, or un-hemmed shorts.
- Walking shorts, skirts, or split skirts should be no shorter than mid-thigh in length. Skirts should be slit no higher than mid-thigh.
- Chains or other accessories; of any length or size (including wallet chains), which could be used to inflict injury upon another are not allowed.
*If student is not dressed up to spark standards they may be asked to go home and change. *
Displays of Affection: Students will not engage in inappropriate public displays of affection. Our students and performers are expected to act as professionals on and off the stage and no unprofessional or suggestive conduct will be tolerated.
Abide by the Three Strike Rule: Students breaking any of the code of conduct rules will have the following disciplinary actions:
• The first instance: student will be given a verbal warning by the Director.
• The second instance: student will be given a verbal warning, and parent/guardian will be contacted.
• Third instance: student will be dismissed permanently from the class, show or rehearsal.
Any student who believes that he or she has observed or has experienced prohibited behaviors should report these immediately to an instructor or Director.
Expectation of Spark Parents & Patrons
We want to provide the students in our program the best experience possible. In order to make this happen, we need the support of our Parents and Patrons, and while they are at SPARK, we ask them to follow these simple rules of conduct.
Our Parents and Patrons will:
- Ensure their child follows the Code of Conduct and Student Policies.
- Ensure their child attends every rehearsal and show and is on time with all necessary materials, prepared to work hard.
- Be on time to drop off and pick up your child.
- Encourages and works with the student at home to learn lines, songs, dances or other materials.
- Ensures their child is appropriately dressed for all activities consistent with the published dress code.
- Bring to the attention of SPARK staff any learning problem or condition that may relate to their child’s education.
- Maintains up-to-date home, work and emergency telephone numbers and other pertinent information.
- Submits a signed statement that they understand and consent to the responsibilities for a given production or activity when provided.
- Show support, help to promote productions, volunteer when able.
- Donate 5 volunteer hours per family.
- Ensure their own language, to their own children and others, is supportive, nurturing and age appropriate and of a positive nature. Swearing, yelling, or humiliation, are not acceptable disciplinary techniques here.
- Personal, verbal, non-verbal, physical or sexual harassment between child to child, child to adult, or adult to adult will not be tolerated.
- Will follow the direction and guidance of staff, directors, or volunteers.
- The use of any video or audio recording device of any kind during the auditions, rehearsals, or performances, or the preparation for any of the same without the express consent of the theatre is prohibited.
- Understands the Director is in charge of the production. The Director is accountable for the ultimate outcome of the production so he or she has to own the creative process and that the Director owns the final creative, artistic and casting decisions. Parents may not influence or attempt to influence a Directors casting, role or line assignment, or other show-related decision.
- Pay tuition on time and understand students do not “take the stage” with unpaid balances.
- If at any time a parent or guardian sees anything they believe is inappropriate, they will promptly make the Director or staff aware of the situation.
Tuition: Tuition is due by the 5th of each month. Spark requires that you sign up for auto draft and your payment will be drafted on the 5th. You may opt out of this on a case by case basis by speaking with Nicole Carter or Summer Humphries.
Communication: Communications will be sent via "remind app" and through our website. Each cast has a home page where we will post related information. It is the responsibility of each parent and student to keep up with communications throughout the semester.